Virax – Redevelopment of the production line - case study
Labadis intervention on the production line at Virax allowed them to obtain the following results.
Virax Epernay design, produce and supply tools for plumbers and hose assembly. The plant has a wide type of process and a high technical expertise. Today Virax wishes to reduce their stocks of outstanding and finished products in order to improve their service rate. To do this, they have to reduce the size of the production batch with the same variety of products.
On the production line, we have analyzed all steps of a product assembly. For each step, we have observed and measured problems from waste:
- Operator produces batch of parts = take, release, take, …
- Assembly line is in an L shape, a big space is wasted in the middle
- Working stations are at least 3 times wider than the product
- Outsourced parts packaging is not compatible with the side line feeding
- Vertical shelves increase the grip height
- Packaging size increases the movement of the operator and wastes space all along the transfer